If you’ve never been waxed down there before, a Brazilian wax FAQ is the right place to be. Any sort of wax requires good preparation, and getting one down there is no different.
At Fuzz, we create a welcoming environment so you can feel comfortable in your skin. And we celebrate all people. That’s why we named our Brazilian wax The Zillian™. A wax service that’s inclusive to all genders, identities, and expressions. We’re here to help you get the most out of your Brazilian wax (Zillian™), every time. In this article, we’ll be covering a complete Brazilian (Zillian™) wax guide of commonly asked questions we get from our clients.
What Is A Brazilian (Zillian™) Wax?
You may have come across our Brazilian wax FAQ with one question in mind: what is a Brazilian wax (Zillian™)? A Brazilian wax (Zillian™) is the complete removal of all hair from all areas - It’s the ultimate package for a heavenly smooth bikini area. Speaking of which, you may wonder what the difference between a Brazilian and bikini wax is. While a bikini wax only removes hair from the edge of your bikini line, a Brazilian wax goes the distance. We’ll remove all the hair from everywhere. It’s the perfect solution for everything gone from the bikini area, cheeks, and in-between.
The Brazilian wax goes by many names, including the G-String, Manzilian, and our very own, The Zillian™. Although the Brazilian includes complete hair removal, you can let your Fuzzologist know if you’d like to leave a strip or shape below the navel.
If it’s your first wax down there, we have plenty of options. We offer a variety of below-the-belt services to meet your every need.
How To Prepare For A Brazilian Wax (The Zillian™)
Achieving smooth skin doesn’t have to be complicated. But it does require some prep to help you feel your best during the wax. Here’s how you can ensure your wax is a comfortable experience, every time:
- Don’t shave for 2 to 3 weeks before your appointment. This is important for the next step…
- Once your hair is at least ¼ of an inch long, you can come in for a wax. If it’s longer than ½ an inch, you may want to trim (not shave) the area for a more pleasant experience. We’ll do this for you, otherwise.
- Avoid tanning within 24 hours of your appointment. Tanned skin will be more sensitive during the wax. You can learn more about tanning and waxing here.
- Exfoliate your skin with a body scrub or brush two days before your appointment. This makes hair removal easier, and will prevent ingrown hairs from appearing.
- Shower the day of your appointment is possible. Avoid using hot water as this can increase the sensitivity of your skin. We provide hypoallergenic wipes upon arrival so you can freshen up before your wax.
- We suggest skipping alcohol or coffee the day of your appointment. While we’re all for treating yourself, skincare is the priority at Fuzz. Alcohol and caffeine can tighten your pores, making for an unpleasant experience.
- While this is optional, you can choose to take an over-the-counter pain medication 30 minutes prior to ease the pain of your wax. Do what makes you feel best!
- Wear loose fitting clothes to your appointment. Cotton fabric is the best material to reduce friction and sweat on freshly waxed skin.
Brazilian Waxing Frequently Asked Questions
Is a Brazilian wax safe? How long does a Brazilian wax last? When is the best time to get a Brazilian wax? We’re here to answer all that and more. Remember, if you have any concerns, you can always ask your Fuzzologist during the appointment!
Are Brazilian Waxes Safe?
Absolutely! The Brazilian (The Zillian™) is one of the most popular services at Fuzz. It’s a safe, affordable, and long-lasting hair removal option. And it provides a lot of other benefits beyond smooth skin.
At Fuzz, we always follow a sanitary protocol to safely wax your skin. We use disposable gloves, non-reusable waxing paper, and sanitized tools to get the job done right. Most importantly, we never double dip. If you ever come across an esthetician who does, run in the other direction to Fuzz Wax Bar.
How Long Does My Hair Need To Be For A Brazilian Wax?
Always ensure your hair is at least ¼ of an inch long before coming into your appointment. This is about the size of a rice grain. If your hair is longer than ½ an inch, feel free to trim it. We will do this for you otherwise. This ensures the wax can adequately adhere to the hair. We’re all about that grip.
It’s also important to skip shaving in-between appointments. We know it can be tempting, but shaving can hinder your wax results. Beyond prolonging your wait time between appointments, shaving stimulates thicker hair growth. The opposite effect of what you’re trying to achieve with waxing.
How Long Does A Brazilian Wax Take?
Your wax will be over before you know it. Typically, a Brazilian (The Zillian™) waxing can take around 15 to 20 minutes to complete. This is dependent on many factors, including the density of your hair, how coarse your hair is, and when your last wax was. Waxing is known to reduce hair growth, growing back thinner each time. That means your next wax could take even less time to complete. It’s a win-win.
Is There A “Best Time” To Get A Brazilian Wax?
You can choose to get a Brazilian wax (The Zillian™) anytime you want. There are no hard rules on when to get a Brazilian wax, except for the hair to be about ¼ inch long. If you’re currently on your period or pregnant, please note that your skin will be more sensitive during this time due to an increase in hormones.
Research shows that when estrogen levels are low, you may experience heightened pain sensitivity. However, getting a Brazilian wax is completely safe for an expecting mother and her baby.
We recommend avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine the day of your appointment. These substances can also increase your skin’s sensitivity to the wax.
If you're looking to go in for an appointment before a special occasion, we recommend booking your appointment 2 to 4 days prior to the event. This way, you can enjoy the most of your smooth skin without worrying about redness or irritation.
When Will My Hair Start Growing Back?
The hair growth cycle is unique to every person. While we can’t exactly say how long yours will last, we know a Brazilian (The Zillian™) wax typically lasts 3 to 4 weeks. You may notice hair growth beginning after 2 weeks. Your hair growth rate is dependent on many factors, including your genetics, hair texture, and how long you’ve been waxing for.
You may even enjoy smooth skin for up to 6 weeks, if you’re lucky. That is the difference between waxing and other hair removal methods. Your hair will begin to grow back thinner and slower than before. It’s a long-lasting treatment, and the more often you do it, the longer it lasts. Guaranteed.
Can I Get A Brazilian Wax On My Period?
A commonly asked question we get from our clients is if you can still come in for a wax on your period. Absolutely, as long as you wear a tampon or menstrual cup to your appointment. A pad won’t be sufficient protection, as you’ll be required to strip down for your Brazilian wax. We love these tampons from joni – available at all Fuzz locations and online.
If you don’t feel comfortable coming in during your period, don’t worry. You can always reschedule your appointment. We suggest booking it one week after your period so your skin won’t be too sensitive.
How Long Should I Wait Before Scheduling My Next Appointment?
As we mentioned earlier, having a hair length of ¼ of an inch to ½ an inch is ideal. Anything shorter and you’re best off waiting. Your hair needs to be long enough for the wax to grip and short enough for an easy and painless hair removal.
We suggest booking your next wax 4 to 5 weeks after your previous wax. This is the best way to reduce hair growth over time. If you wait longer than 8 weeks, your hair will return to its original state when you first began waxing. That would disrupt the hair growth cycle, leaving you back at square one. Not ideal for lasting results. So come in to see us regularly!
What Not To Do After A Brazilian Wax
If you’ve been to Fuzz Wax Bar before, you already know the drill. Your Fuzzologist will let you know how to care for your skin post wax to ensure the best results. Your skin will be hypersensitive for the first 48 hours after, so try to avoid the following:
- Avoid sexual activity for the first 24 hours. This will give your skin time to heal without the friction and irritation of body-to-body contact.
- Avoid any strenuous activities that will cause you to sweat. Save the sweaty gym sesh for another day.
- Avoid saunas, steam, heat, and soaking in tubs for the next 24 hours. Heat can irritate your skin and cause redness or bumps. If you choose to shower after your wax, go for lukewarm water.
- For the next 24 hours, the sun is not your friend. Avoid sun exposure or tanning. Direct sunlight exposure on freshly waxed skin can cause irritation and peeling. You can learn more about tanning and waxing here.
- Avoid using heavy products like lotions or creams on the waxed area. You don’t want to clog your pores after a waxing session, as this can cause ingrown hairs to form.
- Keep wearing the loose, comfy clothes you came in. This will prevent any unnecessary friction or sweat on your skin.
- Avoid shaving the area. This is a big one. Shaving not only prolongs your wait between appointments, but causes your hair to grow back thicker, which defeats the purpose of waxing.
Conclusion: Everything You Need To Know About Brazilian Waxing
Now that you’ve learned all about The Zillian™, we hope this Brazilian wax FAQ answered all of your questions. If you still have additional concerns, please feel free to contact us by email or telephone. And you’re always welcome to ask any questions during your appointment.
A Brazilian wax is the perfect solution for smooth skin exactly where you like it. If you would prefer another service, we offer plenty of below-the-belt services to meet your every need. Most importantly, do what feels right for you. We’re here when you need us!